Are you prepared in the event of an earthquake or other natural disaster? Research states that many people feel they are not prepared in the case of a disaster. Thankfully, there are a few easy steps you can take to prepare your household in the event of an emergency and give yourself peace of mind.
1. Assemble an emergency preparedness kit with basic supplies including:
Personal hygiene items
Emergency contact information
A cell phone with a wireless battery charger
A full list of suggested supplies can be found at the Red Cross website. Many earthquake and disaster preparedness kits are available for purchase, or you can build your own kit following a basic supply list.
2. Create a household evacuation plan including what to do with family pets. Be sure to educate all of your family members on what to do in case of an emergency.
3. Know about your local community’s risk and response plans in times of disaster.
4. Educate your family about what to do to stay safe during a natural disaster. You can find great safety tips through the National Geographic.
5. Consider ways to make your home stronger to withstand earthquakes if you are concerned about structural safety.
6. Sign up for safety alerts with your local city and county. Here are links to sign up for safety alerts through the City of Rancho Santa Margarita and Orange County.
The biggest tip to consider with disaster preparedness is to plan ahead. When disaster strikes, panic can quickly set in. Now is your opportunity to care for your homes and your families by following these guidelines. They will help you feel more prepared in case of a disaster and could even save your life.